Arnold Schwarzenegger’s Seven Tools for a Better Life
Arnold Schwarzenegger has lived a life most can only dream of. From a humble childhood in Thal, Austria, to becoming a 7-time Mr. Olympia champion and a Hollywood icon, Schwarzenegger’s journey is nothing short of extraordinary. With a net worth of $450 million, he has now penned a self-help book, “Be Useful: Seven Tools for Life,” to inspire and guide youth towards achieving their dreams.
The book, published by Penguin Press, offers a unique insight into the life of this iconic figure, shedding light on the principles that have guided his path to success. However, it also reveals a surprising clash between Schwarzenegger and his publisher over the book’s content. The former bodybuilder turned politician had initially proposed ten tools for life but was constrained to fit within 268 pages for affordability. Despite this, his unwavering commitment to making his wisdom accessible to all led to the final title, “Be Useful: Seven Tools for Life.”
Schwarzenegger’s motivation for writing this self-help book stems from a desire to give back to society. This year, he started a free fitness newsletter to provide health-oriented tips to his subscribers, whom he affectionately calls his “village members.”
The book unfolds with five major revelations that provide a deeper understanding of the man behind the muscles and the movies:
1. Making Amends: Schwarzenegger touches upon a painful chapter in his life – the affair with his housekeeper Mildred Baena that led to the end of his marriage to Maria Shriver. He explains his decision not to dwell on the past, focusing instead on repairing relationships and moving forward. His resilience and ability to rebuild relationships offer a valuable lesson in overcoming personal challenges.
2. Earning Breakfast: His childhood in Thal, Austria, was marked by a father who used tough love to instill discipline. Schwarzenegger had to do two hundred knee bends each morning just to “earn” his breakfast. This upbringing seeded in him the value of hard work and dedication, traits that propelled him to greatness.
3. Overcoming Health Challenges: The book delves into Schwarzenegger’s unplanned third open-heart surgery, which was a life-altering experience. His determination to recover and get back to work is an example of his unyielding spirit.
4. Resilience as Governor: Schwarzenegger refused to cancel his second inauguration ceremony as Governor of California despite a major skiing accident. He appeared on crutches and gave a powerful speech, showcasing his commitment to his role and constituents.
5. Speaking Out Against Injustice: Following the shocking events of the January 6th Capitol riot, Schwarzenegger found inspiration in his Jacuzzi to deliver a heartfelt speech denouncing the violence. His courage and compassion in addressing these important issues reflect his dedication to improving the world.
“Be Useful: Seven Tools for Life” encapsulates Schwarzenegger’s journey, offering a treasure trove of life lessons. From building and repairing relationships to overcoming adversity and speaking out against injustice, the book is a testament to his unwavering commitment to personal growth and societal betterment.
Arnold Schwarzenegger’s remarkable story inspires all, showing that anyone can achieve greatness with hard work, dedication, and the right tools. His book is a valuable resource for those seeking motivation and guidance on their own paths to success, embodying the essence of being “useful” to oneself and others.